Thursday, October 17, 2013

Practicing Thriftcraft, No. 3 and an Update to Clock!

Hello All!

In my previous post, I shared my Halloween mantel which included a thrift store clock I spray painted green:


I wanted to decorate it more but couldn't decide what to use.  Then it hit me:


I had cut out and framed a silhouette of a witch using the Cricut cartridge "Happy Hauntings."  I just adjusted the size and used black damask-embossed Bazzill card stock!  I also added an orange rhinestone to the bottom of the minute hand.  Now I think it looks finished:


I popped into the Salvation Army the other day and I saw this:


I love the art deco look of this mid-century peacock.  The fact that he's missing a beak and corona...


didn't deter me.  I plunked down my $1 and carried it out.  When I got home, I pulled out some supplies, found a picture online of what the missing parts looked like and created some prosthetics :)



Once I had the pieces they way I liked, I glued them and let it sit for a few hours before I painted it.  I didn't mind the gold color so I just wanted to "wash" it with Rustoleum hammered bronze while of course covering up the clay.  Here it is now:



I'm linking up!

The Thrifty Groove, Thrifty Things Friday
Elizabeth & Co.:  Be Inspired Features and Linky Party #91

4 comments:

  1. Love Love Love the clock! Just too cute for words! Amazing what you did with the broken piece...great fix! Thanks for sharing at TTF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive, especially how you repaired and aged the bird! Can you reveal how you made the beak- what materials?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used Crayola Model Magic clay! It's pictured in my post; I used a small amount and just formed it according to the picture I found online. The clay is super pliable and soft so it's really easy to work with.

      Delete
  3. totally love the clock and complete Halloween display and you did a great job repairing that bird

    ReplyDelete