Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Sailing Away

I was commissioned make invitations for a 50th birthday party and when I found out the honoree was into sailing, I got this idea to incorporate sailing knots into the invite somehow.  The invitations needed to be inexpensive so I went with a simple design.  I wanted to used a photograph of the person's actual sailboat to personalize the invitation but that proved to difficult to get so I went with the next best thing - (free!) clipart from sailboatclipart.com.  I printed the image on the cardstock and created an overlay with the vellum and party details.  Then it was time to add my favorite detail - the sailing knot!  I found this terrific website - apparent wind.com - that offered step by step virtual instructions on how to tie the knot.  I chose a "figure eight" knot:  A stopper knot. Used at the end of a line to keep it from sneaking away. Often seen at the end of jib sheets.  I can't tell you what the heck a jib is but I know how to tie these knots now - Ha Ha! :)  Anyway, using some embroidery thread I tied lots of these little figure eight knots, mounted them on Bazzill cardstock mattes that I cut out using SB Nestabilities Labels 4 and attached them with pop dots.  So there you have it - my Sailing Away Invites! :)

6 comments:

  1. These came out really nice! Plus, if you're ever out boating, you'll know how to tie up a jib sheet (even though someone will have to show you where it is...)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These turned out great! Sailing is something I've always wanted to do. Ok, not so much the actual hands-on experience, as the riding in the wind experience! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, these are really nice. I love the look of these and the perfect knot! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work Lisa! They came out beautiful. I love the knots and how clean looking they are!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa, you are the winner of my "Blog Candy" from Scrapbook with Amanda (the OWH Valentine Special). I have five hand-stamped cards to mail you. They are Christmas cards, so send me your address and I'll get them off to you this weekend! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Lisa! What a fabulously personal invitation! Love the vellum over the image and those knots are genius! xxD

    ReplyDelete